12 June 2011

Bombs Away!

Four in the morning is not usually a time that I would find myself upright and awake. In fact, my love of sleep is well known and I try to squeeze an extra five minutes in on a weekday morning, but usually to no avail (thanks Husband).

It was different today. My constant interrupted sleep was not to do with babies needing cuddles or boo-bahs. My night time slumber was punctuated with my repeated wakening to check the clock. I needed to be in town at 5 am. Like an excited child on Christmas Eve, I could not wait for the time to arrive for me to get out of bed.

I was going to be yarn bombing.

June 11th was the first International Day of Yarn Bombing. According to their Facebook Page, the manifesto for yarn bombing is the following:

 " This group was started by a Knitter(Joann Matvichuk) in Lethbridge Alberta Canada who was looking for a way to bring awareness of of this fast growing form of art to her community as well as the world. Graffiti knitting, yarnbombing or yarn bombing or yarnstorming is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than paint or chalk."


Our local group, the Lismore Yarn Guerllias, have been preparing for months. Site was chosen, targets picked and furious knitting and crocheting began around the local region. It had finally culminated to this moment - a dark, utterly cold Saturday morning in the main street of Lismore.

Armed with maps and the "bombs", members rugged up for warmth were walking up and down the street; hanging up the installations on designated targets.

Lismore Yarn Bomb

Lismore Yarn Bomb

Laughter and the sounds of the street sweeper, who was very intrigued about what was going on, broke the silence. It was immense fun and I think we all involved really were happy with the end result. Even the Mayor took the opportunity to seize upon the chance to be involved.

Lismore Yarn Bomb

Lismore Yarn Bomb

Lismore Yarn Bomb

Our calling card

More can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1711595@N21/pool/

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for the yarn guerrillas making Lismore more interesting and beautiful x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like blogger's chocolate. We LOVE them.