26 April 2012

Tissue Paper Autumn Leaves | Tutorial |

Cold, rainy days indoors quickly makes for bored children and lately we have had a lot of those days. To relieve some of the boredom, I discovered some gorgeous artwork online in a blog called The Chocolate Muffin Tree . Every time I see that name I just drool and have visions of the most tastiest tree ever. The post which caught my eye the most was one connected to Autumn. As we are well into the swing of Autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere, I thought that The Littles and I could make some colourful leaves out of paper. Where we live, there seems to be a distinct lack of trees which change colour and the season of Autumn does not appear so clearly as it does in other parts of the country. So to get the feel of the changing of the season, I decided to bring it into our home instead.

The first problem I came across is that no where around here sells the type of tissue paper that I needed. I require the type which will bleed the colour when you add water. The next best chance I had of finding some was online, however putting the words "bleeding tissue paper" into the Google search bar can come up with some interesting results and none of them from the art/craft point of view. I ended up finding some on Fishpond and patiently waited for them to arrive. Once we had our paper, we could start on our leaves.

Firstly we cut out leaf shaped objects from our white paper. We shredded the tissue paper and put it in large bowls for easy access.





We also grabbed some brushes and bowls of water. Once we were all set up, it was time to create!!





Take some tissue paper and place it on the leaf. Wet your brush and "paint" the leaf. Soon the dyes will release from the tissue paper and bleed onto the white paper.




Leave it on some board to dry and when the tissue paper looks no longer wet, carefully take it off. The leaves were dry by the following morning. We didn't throw out the tissue paper as I thought it may come in handy for another craft day.



Imp was very impressed with her leaf and it proudly is positioned above her bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like blogger's chocolate. We LOVE them.